TUC Landmark church
With its straightforward use of Chicago common brick and simple wood elements, our unassuming but visually-distinctive church building is an early Chicago example of a house of worship built in the modern style of architecture. The unusual design reflects the progressive character of our congregation, as well as the financial constraints imposed by the Great Depression at the time it was built. When the building was completed, it was widely published in national architectural journals and was recognized by contemporary critics as an important work of architecture. Following this successful design, architect Paul Schweikher went on to play an important role in the development of modern architecture in America through his architectural practice and as head of the Yale School of Architecture. The respectful addition to the north (left photo) from 1956 is by William Fyfe, who worked with Schweikher during the design of the original building.
Address: 301 N. Mayfield Ave.
Year Built: 1936 (original building), 1956 (addition)
Architect: Paul Schweikher
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark: February 6, 2008
murals by andrene kauffman
In 1956, Andrene Kauffman, a Third Unitarian member who was a muralist and longtime instructor at the Art Institute of Chicago, was inspired by a sermon to create a series of ceramic tile murals. The sermon, by the Rev. E.T. Buehrer, minister of Third Unitarian from 1941 to 1969, was entitled “The Saints of Liberalism.” The sermon led Kauffman to paint twenty-four figures between 1956-1963. She added a final mural, of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., in 1969.
The figures, ranging from twenty inches to six feet tall, are painted on ceramic tiles and mounted on the brick walls of the sanctuary.